Ozone therapy: What is it and how it works
You know that fresh, clean smell in the air after it rains? That’s ozone, a powerful molecule that gets pulled from the atmosphere by electricity during a thunderstorm. Ozone is oxygen, but it differs from the oxygen molecules you breathe. Its unique structure makes it a potent signalling molecule in your body, and a valuable biohacking tool.
Ozone therapy has been used and extensively studied for more than a century. Its effects are proven, consistent, safe and with minimal and preventable side effects:
- Ozone therapy enables your blood system to deliver more oxygen to your tissues and cells. This regained energy allows your cells to repair other cells and tissues from both minor and major injuries.
- Ozone therapy strengthens your immune system by stimulating the creation of cytokines. Cytokines control viral replication, kill microbes, and kill cancer cells. When mononuclear blood cells are exposed to ozonides, their oxygen utilisation is enhanced, and as a result they begin to increase the production of cytokines.
- Ozone therapy activates detoxification by stimulating your physiological and psychological processes. The body identifies, neutralises, and eliminates toxic substances, metabolic waste, habits and patterns.
- Ozone decreases the level of free radicals in the body. Whereas some free radical molecules are needed, excess free radicals can damage the body, cause diseases and increase the aging process instantly. Ozone therapy is the only therapy in the world proven to increase the levels of antioxidant enzymes that control and limit free radicals.
Medical Ozone Therapy works very well for a wide variety of medical conditions and diseases such as:
- Carpal tunnel syndrome;
- Chronic neck and back pain;
- Degenerated discs;
- Degenerative & arthritic ankles, knees, hips.
- Sports injuries;
- Tennis elbow;
- Heel spurs;
- Non-union fractures;
- Painful scars;
- Pelvic disorders;
- Plantar fasciitis;
- Post-op pain;
- Rotator cuff injuries;
- Sinus infections;
- Viral diseases (e.g. common cold or different types of flu, chicken pox, shingles, hepatitis, herpes, severe acute respiratory syndrome, Epstein-Barr, etc.).
Can Ozone Therapy be combined with other products?
As far as intra-articular use is concerned, ozone can be injected alone in an attempt to exploit its anti-inflammatory and analgesic efficacy or in combination with other products; for example, prolotherapy, PRP or stem cells for for enhanced effectiveness.
Studies have shown that ozone or PRP injections alone seem to be useful for the patients with knee osteoarthritis, but the results of Ozone + PRP injections knee osteoarthritis reduced the pain significantly more than the Ozone or PRP injections alone. This might be because of the anti-inflammatory effect of ozone has been supported by the release of anti-inflammatory growth factors from the platelets in PRP.